Tuesday, October 12, 2010

upcycle | recycle

via
This Thursday, I'll be attending RetroFittings. It is a fashion show fundraiser featuring the work of University of Cincinnati fashion design students. With a budget of only $10, they scoured the aisles of St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Stores for raw materials to make their fashion masterpiece(s). Doesn't it sound fun? I'm excited. But not nearly as much as my 12-yr old. She's been dying to go to a fashions show since forever!


Upcycling (or the recycling of material to create better or alternate uses for it) is on the rise – specially with the recession and all. Here are some cool things people are making.

legwarmers from sweater sleeves via
dress from ties via

And it's not just from clothes. Below are cute notebooks made with monopoly cards and some lovely cuffs created from old records.

via
via

And this one below is by this guy who retrofits vintage typewriters to be used as USB keyboards. Is that great or what?! I love how old typewriters sound!!! Makes me feel like a 'real' writer.


Do you upcycle? I've been thinking of a couple things... I'll keep you posted :)
 xo

No comments:

Post a Comment